THE CFA is reminding residents in Cardinia Shire that although the fire danger period is over, common sense must prevail when performing open air burns on your property.
In recent weeks, brigades have been called to a number of burn-offs that have gotten out of control on properties when conducted under trees, in multiple locations or unsupervised.
CFA Pakenham Upper Fire Brigade Captain, Michael Bedford, said it was extremely disappointing that local laws were not being adhered to.
“Cardinia Shire Council does not allow burning-off on a Sunday and all burns must be conducted and extinguished in daylight hours,” said Captain Bedford.
“Brigades in the Cardinia Shire are being called out to burn-offs being conducted under trees, outside the scope of the local laws and burns that are unsupervised.
Burn-offs in and around trees can cause problems.
The roots of trees can smoulder for many days after you think they have been extinguished.
“Burn-offs must be supervised at all times with adequate means to extinguish the fire available,” he said.
“Over the past weekend our volunteers were called away from their families on several occasions, for unsupervised or illegal burn-offs.”
Cardinia Shire Council delineates three specific zones for each township.
For information about which open air burning zone your property is in, please contact council on 1300 787 624 or alternatively visit
Zone 1 – no open air burning permitted without a permit.
Zone 2 – open air burning for fuel reduction or fire prevention permitted Thursday, Friday and Saturday between 9am and 5pm, excluding CFA declared Fire Danger Period, Total Fire Ban Days and EPA declared smog alert days.
Zone 3 – open air burning permitted for fuel reduction or fire prevention during daylight hours except Sundays (unless burning if for agricultural production requirements) excluding CFA declared Fire Danger Period, Total Fire Ban Days and EPA declared smog alert days.
If you wish to burn off on days other than specified in the Local Law, you must apply for a permit to burn. These can be obtained by contacting council on 1300 787 624.
To report a person illegally burning-off contact the council on 1300 787 624.

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.