By Brendan Rees
A quick thinking rubbish truck driver was forced to dump a load of rubbish at the end of a residential street in Pakenham on Tuesday morning after the load caught on fire.
The truck was driving along Elwood Avenue at about 9.30am, when the driver noticed smoke coming from the rear load.
Fire crews from Pakenham and Nar Nar Goon contained the fire within 10 minutes in the pile of rubbish.
Pakenham CFA Senior Station Officer Scott Schenfield praised the truck trucker for dumping the load.
“He did the right thing and that’s their company procedure that if there is a fire in the back of the truck to dump it if they can,” he said. “The driver backed up into the street where it was safe to actually dump the load that was on fire.”
He said “something in the back has sparked and caught fire,” adding the fire was starting to build when crews arrived on scene. Crews made sure there were no hot spots or “deep-seated fire.”
“There’s nothing wrong with the truck, its fine and it’s continued on with work.”
Mr Schenfield said no one was injured and the rubbish would be removed from the road.
A spokesperson from WM Waste Management Services said people should be mindful not to dispose of items not accepted by hard waste collection.
She said the smallest item such as AA batteries could spark a fire.
“Once you crush it against other materials that should be hard waste like plastic they’ll ignite and melt with the friction and acid leak.”