By Rowan Forster
Preliminary designs of McGregor Road’s proposed world-class motorsports facility have revealed a series of dynamic inclusions, including a trackside hotel, swimming centre and a 50,000 square metre grandstand.
Recreational marksmen are rejoicing the addition of an International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) 50 metre indoor range, which will serve as the only complex between Springvale and outer Gippsland.
The plans, released late in December, are set to be given the final tick of approval in February
It will also feature the corner stone 3.6km FIA Grade 2 race track – capable of accommodating V8 Supercars – a drag straight, a 1.4km rallycross circuit, an outdoor clay target range, 900m kart circuit and an exhibition centre.
Rev-heads will also be able to test their skills at the Driver Experience Centre, which will include a skid pan, kick plate and clean off-road area.
All of the aforementioned facilities will be situated on the 64 hectare Lot 3 of 335 McGregor Road – which has been sold by Cardinia Shire.
A spokesperson for the Cardinia Motor Recreation & Education Complex (CMREC) confirmed that the facility is being entirely privately funded.
“As this project is privately funded, government funding is not required to make this complex a reality,”
“However local and state government are all in support of this project.
“We are currently working directly with council to receive the planning permit early next year.”
The complex will not include a dirt track, which has been sought by motorbike and dirt bike enthusiasts for years.
Currently, the closest track is in Broadford.
According to the CMREC, the land size was insufficient for the inclusion.
Racing enthusiasts were quick to praise the proposed facility.
“This is going to be the next big thing for Pakenham,” one proponent said.”Imagine the money it is going to bring to the area, by having this here.”
A full list of the inclusions:
• 3.6km FIA Grade 2/FIM Grade B race track.
• Drag straight.
• 1.4km FIA Rallycross Circuit.
• Pit building inc. car garages, corporate suites, education classrooms, medical centre and helipad.
• 50,000sqm+ of spectator viewing and grandstand areas.
• Driver Experience Centre including a skid pan, clean off road area, kick plate and lane change.
• Dynamic Area.
• Private trackside car storage garages.
• ISSF 50m indoor shooting range.
• Outdoor clay target range.
• 900m CIK Category A Karting Circuit.
• Trackside hotel including a restaurant and bar, function rooms, wellness centre and pool.
• Indoor and outdoor exhibition spaces.