Portable classrooms hauled in

A portable classroom is installed at the school. 192657_03

Students will return to St Catherine’s Catholic Primary School in Berwick on 29 April following a fire that destroyed several classrooms earlier this month.

Firefighters were called to the scene after a gas rupture caused a building to explode into flames about 11.40am on Monday 8 April. The fire is believed to be related to work on a construction site at the school.

Ambulance Victoria confirmed a man was airlifted to the Alfred Hospital with burns to his upper body and legs in a serious but stable condition while a second man was treated for smoke inhalation.

Chief Executive Officer of Diocese of Sale Catholic Education Ltd, Maria Kirkwood, said the school was working hard to minimise disruptions for students and their families.

“Our aim is for classes to continue as seamlessly as possible. Twelve learning areas have been affected by fire, water and smoke damage, so students and families will notice some changes when they return to school,” she said.

“We have brought in relocatable classrooms, and we will make every effort to get them ready for students in the coming days.

“While the fit out of the temporary classrooms is finalised, students in grades two, three, and four will travel by bus to St Francis Xavier College in Beaconsfield for their classes,” Ms Kirkwood added.

Parents and carers of students enrolled at St Catherine’s have been notified about the incident.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the construction workers who were on site at the time of the fire, particularly the young builder who was injured. We wish him all the best as he recovers,” Ms Kirkwood said.

Enquiries about school programs and opening hours can be directed to St Catherine’s on 9702 1466.

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.