School springs into action after gas leak

The team at St Francis Xavier sprang into action after the gas leak was discovered on Wednesday 28 July. 137393_09

By Gabriella Payne

The end of the school day was a little more eventful than usual last Wednesday 28 July, as staff and students from Beaconsfield’s St Francis Xavier College were evacuated after a gas leak was discovered on campus.

The principal of the college, Vincent Feeney, said that upon hearing the news, “all staff and students were immediately evacuated“ and it had been a smooth operation, as thankfully “everyone remained calm and followed the emergency procedure“.

“As always, safety remained our top priority while the gas leak was repaired,“ Mr Feeney said.

Upon inspection, the Beaconsfield CFA said they had found a substantial leak in a ruptured gas main at the front of the college.

The leak was sealed and made safe for repair by the gas company.

The incident was attended by FRV, Berwick Fire Brigade CFA, Ambulance Victoria and Victoria Police, and all staff and students remained safe and sound.

“I would like to thank our school community for their support and cooperation, as alternative arrangements were made for students to safely depart the campus at the end of the school day,“ Mr Feeney said.

“The care that was provided by staff for our students’ safety and wellbeing was outstanding throughout the incident.“