40-year-old dies in workplace accident

180078_02

A man has died in a workplace accident on the roof of Taco Bill in Pakenham.

Emergency services were called to the restaurant on the Princes Highway around 6pm on Tuesday 26 October.

A 40-year-old electrician was electrocuted while installing a light.

Police will prepare a report for the Coroner.

WorkSafe and Energy Safe Victoria are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Energy Safe Victoria Commissioner and Chairperson Marnie Williams said ESV offers its condolences to the victim’s loved ones.

“Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) is investigating an incident at a Pakenham commercial property yesterday afternoon, which resulted in the tragic death of a 40-year-old licenced electrical worker,” she said.

“Unfortunately, at the time of the incident preliminary inquiries suggest that the man was working within the vicinity of live electrical cables.

“ESV, Victoria’s independent energy safety regulator, is pleading to all electricians to ensure they carry out safe isolation when working in the vicinity of live electrical equipment. We’re also reminding electricians to ensure they carry out mandated testing upon the completion and before energisation of electrical work.

“Our Never Work Live campaign calls for electricians to always disconnect an electricity supply before starting work.”