Big win to Kooweerup

By Kane Latham
KOOWEERUP asserted its authority on the weekend with some brilliant individual performances, while Upper Beaconsfield showed it was a contender in the opening round of the WGCA.
Cardinia went on with business as usual and a much stronger Beaconsfield defeated Pakenham Upper.
Kooweerup amassed 2/305 against Catani at Kooweerup Recreation Reserve. Michael Giles hit the ball to all parts of the ground while Chris O’Hara worked the ball around.
The breakthrough came at 167 when Giles had made 110 with six fours and eight sixes.
Travis Canavan came on but the pain didn’t ease for Catani as he and O’Hara were relentless, with O’Hara bringing up his century. Canavan took the score to 2/305, finishing 77 not out.
Catani reached 99 before a direct hit and run-out from Matt Davey ended Stone’s innings on 39. Brad McDonald and Nick Close worked hard but could not match Kooweerup. When McDonald was run out, by a direct hit by Chris Bright, the score was 2/168 and the win well out of reach. Catani’s innings was closed at 4/185.
Tooradin and Upper Beaconsfield staged a nail biter, with Upper Beaconsfield getting over the line by five runs.
Upper Beaconsfield got off to a solid start, before losing Chris Pentland, stumped by Seagull recruit Brad Sauer for 52. Julian Bayard was removed soon after, with the score on 117.
After Sam Clarke left the field with a broken finger there was little resistance with Brenton Adams claiming his third wicket for 3/32 off eight and Ash Adams taking 3/5 of 4.5.
Tooradin reaching 53 before losing Freeman for 32. With Brenton Adams retired hurt, Cal O’Hare and Aaron Avery put on a partnership before Avery was removed for 12. From there the middle order offering little resistance.
O’Hare hit two straight sixes but batting one short Tooradin just didn’t have the fire power. Back from a knee reconstruction only 15 weeks ago, O’Hare batted beautifully for his 65.
John Simpson finished with 3/31 and Paul Mathews with 3/16, both from seven overs.
At Perc Allison Reserve, a refreshed Beaconsfield beat Pakenham Upper by 37 runs.
Beaconsfield reached 40 before losing its first wicket but after Justin Stanton (25) went at 2/54 Shannon Price ripped through he middle order until Ryan O’Connor steadied the ship.
O’Connor, with some good lower-order batting by Don Kerslake and Jason Dodd, saw the score to 9/156, ending with 47 not out. Price got 5/24 from his eight overs.
In reply, Pakenham Upper lost wickets at regular intervals and never looked in the race. Opener Liam Toole topscored with 33 but only three other batsmen reached double figures. The 40 overs eventually produced 9/119.
Pick of the Beaconsfield’s bowlers were Dodd with 3/22 runs, Kerslake (2/19) and Cam Henry (2/24).
Cardinia flexed its muscles against a depleted Officer side, winning by 57 runs.
It was a different Officer to the one that played finals last year, but it did well to restrict Cardinia to 145. In what would have been a big boost for Officer it took the early wicket of Jason Nooy with the score on 1/2.
Neil Barfuss and Mark Cooper took it to 39 before Barfuss was removed for 17. Five quick wickets had Officer up and about, but Dwayne Doig and Mark Andolfatto took to the bowling, Doig topscoring with 32 and Andolfatto 30. Porter took 3/23.
A new-look Cardinia bowling line-up then ran through Officer with only two players reaching double figures. Shane White showed heart with 26.
Pick of the bowlers was Jason Fisher with 3/8 off eight, included four wides. Doig and Cooper both took two wickets, neither conceding a run from 4.3 and Cooper two overs respectively.