Fun at parkrun
Participate with more than 100 others in a free five-kilometre timed event every Saturday morning. The event caters for serious runners and for those wanting a jog or even a walk.
– Saturdays at 8am at Toomuc Reserve, Pakenham. Visit the Pakenham parkrun Facebook page for more information.
Upper Beaconsfield’s Village Festival is back bigger and better than ever.
The community event, which stemmed from the devastating February 2009 bushfires and has since become an annual celebration of community spirit, returns this Sunday 18 February with all the favourites and some new attractions.
– Upper Beaconsfield Community Centre 10-12 Salisbury Road, Upper Beaconsfield. The fun run kicks off at 8.30am with festival activities beginning at 9am and concluding at 3pm. More information, including a calendar of events, is at www.ubvillagefest.org.au.
Queen of Katwe screening
The free Sunset Cinema is returning with Queen of Katwe.
Viewers can bring a blanket, chairs and a picnic every Friday night until 16 March.
– Harmony Square, 225 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong. Friday 16 February, 7pm. Call 8571 1000 for more information.
Lion dancers at the plaza
Lion dancers will welcome the Chinese New Year, the year of the dog.
– Level two at Dandenong Plaza, McCrae Street, Dandenong. Saturday 17 February, 1pm.
The photographic work of Brian J Hughes is on display in this free exhibition.
– Gallery One at Walker Street Gallery and Arts Centre, corner Walker and Robinson streets, Dandenong. Until Saturday 24 February. Gallery opens Tuesday to Friday, 11am to 5pm, and Saturday, 11am to 3pm.